Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
Complete four activities to earn this Brownie GS Try-It. Activity #1 is required.
1. Visit your local Dinosaur or Natural History museum and learn about life in ancient times.
2. Colorado is packed full of all types of natural wonders. Learn about one of these wonders and how it was created.
3. Explore the geology or archeology of your region and see what fascinating items you discover.
4. Paleontology is a young field of science. The word means "The Study of Ancient Life." Be able to answer the following: • What is a fossil? • What does the word "Dinosaur" mean? • What is a paleontologist? • Where can you find dinosaur bones?
5. Fossils are very delicate and expensive. Most museums have casts of dinosaur bones on display. Learn how fossils are preserved and make your own fossil.
6. The "Age of Dinosaurs" was made up of three different periods: The Triassic, The Jurassic and The Cretaceous. Our world, including Colorado, was a very different place in earlier times. Learn about our area during the Cretaceous period and what type of life flourished here.
7. Dinosaurs are usually named after a trait, the area they were found or the person who discovered them. The name is converted into Greek or Latin, which has been used to describe animals since ancient times. Find out the meaning of the following dinosaur names, in English, and then create your own dinosaur name. • Tyrannosaurus-Rex • Triceratops • Albertosaurus
8. Dinosaurs are a favorite movie villain. Watch a dinosaur movie and discuss it. Did the movie have more fiction than fact about dinosaurs?