Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
1. Learn about the history of nursing in the world. Share what you learned with your troop.
2. Volunteer to work with a nurse at a health fair either taking blood pressures or doing health teaching.
3. Interview a nursing student and find out what the educational requirements are for becoming a nurse. What practical experience is helpful in preparing a person to become a nurse? Tour a local nursing school.
4. Visit a hospital, clinic, or other area where nurses work. Observe what nurses do, whom they work with, what equipment they use, and how they interact with people. Describe a nurse’s role in a specialty room. Write a summary of what you observed and learned.
5. Go to www.discovernursing.com or www.nsna.org. What did you learn about nursing?
6. Find out what makes nursing unique. Compare and contrast nursing with other health professions.
7. Participate in 3 health education classes at school or in your community. Learn about 3 different types of health problems.
8. Interview a nursing leader. What leadership skills does he/she need for the job? What career path did he/she take to get their current job?
9. Interview a patient who has received nursing care. What is the patient’s perception of a nurse? What did the nurse do for them to help them?
10. Take a CPR and a first aid class. Assist in teaching younger Girl Scouts about first aid.