Vintage/Retired GS badges and memorabilia
Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors:
Do the required activity
Do three activities of your choice from Discover
Do one from Connect and one from Take Action
**REQUIRED ACTIVITY: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is one of the preeminent Ivy league schools in the country. Research why they chose to create a Pirate Certificate for their students who take certain phys ed courses.
Discover – your pirate skills
1. Sailing – experience the high seas (or local lake). Participate in a sailing activity
2. Archery – Defend yourself against oncoming attackers. Shoot a minimum of 15 arrows to save your boat.
3. Fencing – The enemy has boarded your ship – you need to keep yourself from harm. Working with an experienced fencing instructor – keep others at bay and keep yourself safe.
4. Pistol shooting – As the leader of your crew – you will need to protect. At a firing range demonstrate that you can use the pistol properly.
5. Orienteering – learn to navigate your way by land or by sea. Can you use the stars to guide you? How would you use landmarks, the sun and the stars to go from one point on your map to another.
1. Create a pirate map for treasure hunting with younger scouts.
2. Research female pirates, regional boating or pirate museum and share with others thru a skit or campfire story telling
3. Learn about illness and injuries that would have been common to pirates.
1. Choose one of the pirate skills to demonstrate to others how to be safe while participating in that activity.
2. Learn about, plan and fix a meal fit for a pirate. What are food that would survive while at sea? How are they prepared?
3. Lead a group of younger girls in sea chanteys
4. Create a poster or brochure to promote your experience and share with others.